Thursday, April 1, 2010

My furbabies!

So if you knew me at all IRL you'd get an earful of me talking about my dogs. They are our spoiled rotten babies and we love them something stupid! It's hard to believe I'm just now getting around to talking about them!

We have three dogs running our household. They're all lab mixes of varying degrees of lab and mix. I'll refer to them by their household nicknames rather than their actual names for anonymity's sake.


First is the Old Man - he's my dog from college and he's 15+ years old and about 70 lbs. He's also referred to as the cranky old man, but he loves Hubby & I and in his old age has learned to tolerated others.... He's having a hard time getting up and walking lately and I'm really dreading the inevitable. When we had to put our older dog to sleep it was horrible! But I try not to let myself focus on that....

Second is Big - she's about 4.5 yrs old and 90 lbs (hence the nickname Big). She's a big, lazy sweet pea who would be happiest if someone was constantly petting her. She especially loves having her paws rubbed (very weird for a dog to like that) and though we don't encourage this she's figured out that our parents will sit down and immediately start rubbing her paws even if we won't. She hates to be alone and tends to hear things that go bump in the night if she's not with us.

Last but certainly not least is Little - she's just over 1 yr old and about 50 lbs (which in any other household would probably be big, but not in ours). She has two complete opposite sides to her personality. She jumps over the couch and over the fence - which makes us insane and we keep trying new things to keep her exploring nature in the yard to no avail yet. She has tons of energy at times then other times she just wants to curl up behind my legs and nap. When Hubby is gone she sleeps on the bed and likes to be so close to me that she ends up using me as a pillow. Serious cuddle bug and serious crazy, we just hope it will ease up a bit with age - at least the crazy part!

Big and Little are collectively referred to as 'The Girls'. They're all adopted from various shelters - we're huge advocates of adopting animals! We also sometimes feel like we're trying to single-handedly give all the black dogs in our area a home. Black dogs (and cats) are the last to be adopted, people tend to think of them as aggressive (or in the case of cats - bad luck). In fact, Little's brother and sister are still at the shelter where we got her.... :(

ON SOAPBOX: Please do your research and adopt a pet! You can find tons of full breed dogs and cats at a shelter or rescue organization if that's what you prefer. OFF SOAPBOX :)

So these are my furbabies. Someday they'll have a people brother or sister to protect and play with. Until then, they're what helps keep me sane through TTC and Hubby's travel. Oh, and please send AF my way so we can get started on getting them that sibling! :)

5 comments:

  1. Awww, they are all so cute! Thanks for introducing them =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're so cute and they sound so sweet!! And, yes, I definitely agree about the adoption thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm stopping by from the blog hop! I love your fur babies!!! I have my own little shelter found miracle! My little guy isn't black because all of the dogs in the shelter we went to seemed to be tan pit bulls. But you are so right about how sane they can keep you!!!
    I wish I could send AF your way...but I'm actually waiting for her at my place at the moment. That old bag....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came across your blog at Blog Hop! Your dogs are so cute. I love my furbaby too...they really are like having a child! We adopted ours too...she's a white maltipoo and is blind from glaucoma:( Her previous owner abandoned her b/c they didn't want to deal with her! I will always adopt any pet I get from here on out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big looks just like my Othello and he has issues about being alone, too. I call it separation anxiety. :-) Both of our furbabies came from the pound. We have one blond and one black so I can only were polka dots.
    One the hop. :-)

    ReplyDelete