Monday, May 17, 2010

Farewell Old Friend

The weekend was very bittersweet for us. We had to let our old guy go yesterday. When I went downstairs he didn't want to get up to go outside. Then he didn't eat his breakfast, that's when I knew he was done. He was over 15 which is really old for a dog his size and he lived an excellent life. No matter how much I wanted him to stay with us, he was ready to go.

When Hubby got up he agreed it was time and that we should go right then. The whole car ride my heart was just screaming "turn around, I'm not ready...". But it wasn't about me and my friend deserved some dignity. The clinic made him comfortable, gave him big fluffy towel for a pillow and covered him with a comforter - he looked so cozy, and so tired.... Hubby and I stayed with him and rubbed his ears (that always made him happy) while the medicine took affect. I'm not going to lie, it was awful - but it was the right thing for my boy.

I'll try to post on the 'sweet' part of the bittersweet weekend tomorrow, for now I just wanted to say thanks for the memories old friend!

9 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your puppy. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((Hugs))I'm sorry for the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry for the loss of your old guy! You gave him a good life and you were lucky to have each other. {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so so sorry, Mel. Losing our pets is such a horrible thing to go through. I hope you're doing OK. Sending you lots of (((hugs))).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't read this without tearing up. I know this day is coming for my furbabies and I cannot stand it. I'm so glad you were with him and you can be assured he knew he was loved and cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (((HUGS))) for your loss, sweetie! It sounds like your old guy was very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry for your loss. I know is it not easy. Your furbaby was very lucky to have you and your DH in his life!!

    (I hope that the sweet part of your weekend is what I am thinking it is.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope my crying for your broken hearts help in some way, that some universe-energy type of hug is being sent to you both.

    I adopted a beagle back in 05 when I lived in FL. After my divorce, she came back home to Ohio with me, and last year when I got married again and moved to Hawaii, I left her with my dog-loving/obsessed aunt. A few months later, my Madison got out of her yard, and was hit by a car. All I could think about was that I wasn't there to hold her paw when she was put to sleep. I just hope she didn't feel alone.

    I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete