Sunday, March 21, 2010

Can I at least grow something....

So Hubby and I decided last year we were going to put in a vegetable garden this year. We built the bed last summer (ok, we paid someone to put it in along with a bunch of other landscaping work we had done) and it's been waiting for us to fill it with yumminess since then.

As I mentioned in my last post it's been a big crap-fest of a winter so it's been giving us something to look forward to and we might have gone a bit overboard on the seed ordering. Yes, you read that right - we're attempting to grow our garden from seeds. Let me just put this out there, I do NOT have a green thumb. I can keep plants alive indoors as long as they're pretty hearty but outside has not been kind to me.

But we're giving it the old college try. Last weekend we(I) planted heirloom tomatoes, pear tomatoes, grape tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and two kinds of flowers - petunias and 4 o'clocks. As of today everything but the petunias has come up and I've had to transplant all the types of veggies (and yes I'm lumping tomatoes in w/veggies...) into larger pots yesterday. I don't think they're loving it too much after the transplantation. They're a bit droopy and sad at the moment.

I think we'll be planting the peas, lettuces and radishes outside in the next couple of weeks. It would have been this upcoming weekend but the snow melt from the weekend storm has created a full swamp at the moment.

Wish me luck.... If I can't grow a baby hopefully I can at least grow some produce. Ha!

2 comments:

  1. Yum, sounds like a great idea! I attempted to grow some things (tomatoes and peppers) last year as a trial to see if we would put in a bed. It didn't go so well, but I think it was partly the fault of the pots I used. Can't wait to see what you grow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog Mel, yippy =)

    Gardens are so fun! I don't have the biggest green thump either but usually about 80% grows and produces food =) You must live somewhere warm to already be planting...I can't plant until the end of May here in CO.

    I see you had a big temp jump today...everything crossed!!!!

    ReplyDelete