Let me start off by saying that my RE was out of the office today but since Friday is the only day Hubby is in town I went ahead and scheduled our u/s with her partner. We're going to call him Dr. Douchebag for the sake of anonymity.
I'm 6w3d today. He starts the ultrasound and immediately finds the placenta then says we have a baby with a heartbeat - whew, sigh of relief right? NO!
As he keeps going he points out the placenta and the yolk sac and the flickering heartbeat and measures the embryo at 6w4d. Then he backtracks and says well, it's a bit too early. What we're looking at COULD be the baby right up against the wall of the placenta but he's not sure. Over and over again, he's just not sure - it's too early. He wants me to come back next Friday to see more definitively.
He has me sit up and proceeds to tell me that he's seen plenty of pregnancies that shouldn't have a chance to make it go on be perfectly successful. After seeing what I can only imagine was a look of horror on my face he quickly backtracked and said that this one's not one of those. Douchbag. Suckily enough my RE is on vacation next week so I get Dr. Dbag again. Fantastic!
I don't know what I feel right now, just kind of numb. I did see the flickering so I'm trying to be positive but needless to say I don't really feel better after the appointment. Just to further explain why I liked this doc so much, as he measured out whatever it was at 6w4d he wrote out - and I quote - Possuble CRL. Seriously, I'm taking medical advice from a guy who can't even spell possible. Douchebag!!
Ugh, what a dipshit. If there was flickering, how else would he explain it except that it WAS a heartbeat? If it's not a baby, what is the explanation? Christmas lights twnkling in your uterus? Try to ignore him and take comfort in the fact that a flicker at 6.5 weeks is a great sign.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you get him again next week, Mel, but at 7.5 weeks there shouldn't be any room for dopey interpretation, what you see won't be debatable.
Best of luck - I think it sounds like everything is going just as it should - and try not to worry too much through the weekend :).
I can't believe that. I'm glad you saw the flicker though, maybe you get an ultrasound somewhere else for peace of mind?
ReplyDeleteWhat an ass. And how confusing. I don't understand what he thinks he was seeing?! It seems to me that unless you have a moth caught in there think the flicker is what is important.
ReplyDeleteI hope you can try not to think about it until next week. (Yeah, right.) Because it does sound good. It sounds like you saw just what I saw basically on the same day. And, no one said anything was wrong!!
OK...the only word I can think of right now is Douchbag!! I think flickering at 6w3d is fantastic! ounds like things are progressing well. Hang in there, girl! Thinking positive thoughts for you! (((HUGS)))
ReplyDeleteI just want to come over and give that dr a good talking to!! I am so sorry that you endured that. If it were me, I probably would have just given him my thoughts right back! I think seeing the heartbeat at 6w3d is wonderful. I hope he has a little better bedside manner next Friday. I was thinking the same - could you call your OB to get in for a quick ultrasound earlier if you explain how irresponsible this RE acted? Hope you are able to enjoy your weekend knowing that you saw the heartbeat!
ReplyDeleteI don't know much about this part of the process but I agree with the others--if you saw something flickering what else could it possibly be?? I'm sorry he was such a douche...goodness why can't anything just be easy! Thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteseriously, what a douche.
ReplyDeleteOh Mell, I'm so sorry you had to deal with that! It sounds to me like a doc who prefers not to do u/s until 8 weeks. The simple fact is that once you see a heartbeat the chance of m/c is down to 5-10%. The fact you saw that lovely flicker is a WONDERFUL thing so F*** him =)
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry you had to deal with that a..h..e:(
ReplyDeleteDon't let it get to you. You saw the heartbeat, and that is wonderful, and very re-assuring news!
Cheering for you and your little bean!!!