Thursday, June 17, 2010

How Does my Garden Grow?

It's growing very well, thanks for asking! I know it's not nearly as interesting to you all as it is to me but I'm very excited about my first veggie garden! (I'm also hoping I'll eat a bit better once I start getting my own good stuff!!)

I've got several little bitty green tomatoes on two types of tomato plants. Unfortunately I don't know which plants are which until they get ripe since Hubs didn't pay attention to which grouping is pear, grape or heirloom when he planted them. It's also time to get the tomato cages out, some of my plants are growing a bit out of control.

All three of my broccoli plants actually have broccoli growing in the midst of the giant leaves now. Unfortunately my cauliflower is just a snack to keep the bugs away from the broccoli. I guess it's kind of hard to grow but again, we were really enthusiastic to try all sorts of things after our crap winter so we were a little over zealous....

My cucumber plants have grown about two feet in the last couple of weeks too. They also have the pretty yellow flowers (which should - knock on wood - turn into cucumbers) all over them.

Seems that everything loves the huge, flooding rains we've been having with the possible exception of my peas (and myself). One of my pea plants is dying.... It might be too hot or too wet for them but I'm only losing one so far. Better than losing one of my tomato plants!

Pregnancy Update - Nausea has fully set in. If I don't eat on time it's not good times for the old tummy. Unfortunately it seems like nothing healthy ever sounds good right now. I'm trying not to eat a bunch of crap but at this point I guess I have to eat whatever doesn't make me want to hurl.... We still haven't told anyone the news yet. My RE scheduled me for my last u/s (with their office) on the 24th so if all goes well then I'm considering telling my parents over the weekend of the 4th of July while we're at the lake visiting them. I'll be about 10 and a half weeks at that point. Guess I'll have to see how I'm feeling about things then.

Aren't you glad you just wasted some time on this update? Super exciting I know!! :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mel. Sounds like you will have lots of yummy veggies to eat. I hope that your nausea settles and you feel better soon. Although they are not great for us, Bagels helped to calm my nausea...especially after I got tired of crackers. Also I wore seabands on my wrists until about 15 weeks and they really helped me. My acupuncturist recommended them. I ordered them from amazon but I think cvs has them too. Hope you have a relaxing weekend. I look forward to hearing about your next ultrasound in a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the awesome plants!! :) That just sounds like such a great garden. And, seriously, if this rain doesn't stop soon I'm going to float away. It's getting ridiculous.

    Sorry for the nausea. I know what you mean about it coming if you don't eat on time. I've also found that I suddenly become raging b*tch without warning if I don't eat as soon as I feel vaguely hungry. That used to happen pre-pregnancy but it didn't happen so suddenly. Wishing you a wonderful u/s next week with the RE's office!!

    And, I'm glad for the update. I've been looking for one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like your garden is doing great! Seems like sometimes it's picky about the timing of those flooding rains but it sounds like it hit your garden at a perfect time =) Maybe that one pea plant wouldn't have made it anyway...

    Sorry about the m/s, that sucks! Sounds like it's time to tell the fam for sure, can't wait to hear their reactions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. have you tried Sea Bands for the nausea, a lot of girls ar eusing them, but i'm sure you've seen that already on multiple blogs.

    we have a garden too, right now it's growing weeds. but my favorite planting season is the root vegetable one. carrots especially.


    (whatwouldjendo.com)

    ReplyDelete