My 1 hour gestational diabetes glucose test that is.... My OB's cutoff is 139, I scored a 142. Quite the over-achiever, aren't I? So this means I get the distinct non-pleasure of doing the three hour glucose tolerance test. For those who haven't had the pleasure of either doing it or hearing about someone who's had to do it, here's what happens: Fasting blood draw upon arrival, drinking what is apparently one of the worst liquids known to man (or woman), blood draw 1 hour, 2 hours and 3 hours after said nasty liquid.
My biggest concern (other than failing this one too of course) is the fasting part of the whole deal. I'm not allowed to eat anything after midnight the night before. I still throw up in the morning if I don't eat in time or enough or if something makes me gag or just whatever (happened yesterday before I drank the 'juice' because something made me gag and again this morning because I got sick in the middle of dinner last night and couldn't finish so my stomach was super empty when I got up). I'm not aiming for pity here, which is why I haven't really mentioned still getting sick here. I'd endure anything - like most of you - to have a healthy baby. What I'm looking for is advice on how to survive this without throwing up the nasty liquid then having to go through the whole thing again another day. Does anyone have any sure fire tactics to keep your stomach calm and keep from getting sick (that doesn't involve eating something)?
Here's something I've never heard before that the nurse told me when she called. My OB has you eat a slice of white bread with every meal for the three days prior to the test. She said it's something about priming your system for the test? Maybe she wants to make sure I'm not depriving myself of all carbs to try to lower my numbers or something but I've never heard of this before.
So anyway, any advice or just good luck would be much appreciated.... I'll be scheduling my test with the lab for next Tuesday or Thursday depending on their schedule.
no advice...just lots of luck going your way.
ReplyDeleteIck!! No advice but that sounds really unpleasant! :(
ReplyDeleteI just barely failed my 1 hour test too and then passed the 3 hour test with flying colors. My only advice is to bring a laptop bc you have to stay in the lab the whole 3 hours and most labs have wifi these days.
ReplyDeleteI never heard of the white bread idea, but it's worth a try! Good luck!!
no advice, just wishing you a lot of luck. i know a couple of girls who tried sea bands for morning sickness, only worked on half.
ReplyDeleteUGH! Sorry you have to endure the 3 hr test...and that you're still getting sick. The only non food m/s things I've heard of are those sea sickness bracelets. Maybe it would be woth a shot?
ReplyDeleteI wish I had some great advice for you ( & for me, for that matter!) I'll be doing my test in 4 weeks, so good luck & be sure to pass on your words of wisdom :)
ReplyDeleteOh that sucks! Good luck - I really hope it goes as well as possible!
ReplyDelete