Warning: This post might be hard for some, please skip it if you want or need to!
I finally spilled the beans this weekend. We went down to the Lake so we could tell my parents. They didn't even know we were TTC, in fact I think they had given up all hope of ever having a grandchild since we've been married 9 years and they know my bro/SIL are not planning to have kids.
Their 42nd anniversary is tomorrow so I told them we were coming down because we got them an anniversary gift. I got them a book on how great it is to be a grandparent that had a spot for a picture on the cover and I placed our last u/s picture in there. My mom got it right away when she looked at it. Dad looked at it and said - 'No Shit?', which Mom then repeated. She then started jumping up and down and crying, even Dad started crying. They both kept hugging us, it was quite the overwhelming surprise for them. Mom had wondered a bit since I haven't been drinking this summer but she said when I'd lost weight instead of gained over the 4th holiday she figured it was just wishful thinking on her part.
Hubs also told his dad and step-mom on Wednesday. They've known more than any other set of parents about our struggles and procedures. They already suspected (and have for quite a while) so it wasn't really a surprise to them. That's one of the reasons Hubby just decided to do it over the phone rather than in person.
I still want to tell my brother and sister-in-law in person and one couple who has been especially supportive to us (and used the same RE to conceive their daughter). We're also planning to tell Hubby's mom and step-dad on Saturday so then we'll be done with the 'in person' reveals and I'm sure word of mouth will spread quickly from there. We're certainly not sending out a mass email for anything like that, we all know what our own reactions are to those and I wouldn't want to do that to someone who might be silently suffering....
It kind of feels good to finally be telling people. I know we probably should have, or at least could have, before the 16 week mark but not only were we paranoid but it was also kind of nice having such a happy secret between the two of us without anyone to tell us how we should be doing things. But any longer and it was going to be pretty obvious.
That is awesome guys! It must feel nice that is out! I am so happy for you guys!
ReplyDeleteSo exciting!!! I am so happy that you felt comfortable letting the cat out of the bag! I know it is not easy! What a wonderful anniversary present for your parents!!
ReplyDeletei was going to say you are so pregnant by now, i can't believe how long you kept that secret. kudos to you.
ReplyDeleteSo fun!!! It became much more real when I told people and started talking about it more =) It's so cool that your parents were over the top happy about it!
ReplyDeleteyour parents reactions brought me to tears. i'm so happy for you guys! congrats and best wishes for a wonderful pregnancy!
ReplyDeleteSo excited for you!! Is it starting to feel more real?
ReplyDeleteSo excited for you!
ReplyDeleteHey it's sillyhille (Sarah) from Last Chance IVF's blog readership! :)
ReplyDeleteI wanted to email you about the "internet shower" idea-! Drop me a line if you're interested...
Sillyhille@gmail.com