Hubs and I have decided that we're going to do some (more) remodeling before the big event. Before I detail it out I should tell you about our home so you have some idea of where we started. Our home is in a historic neighborhood and was built in the mid-1930s. When we bought it six and a half years ago it hadn't had much work done to it though it was in very good shape. Before we moved in we did a huge re-do to the kitchen (tearing down walls, replacing plumbing/electrical, all new cabinets, counters floors and appliances, etc - basically started from scratch), built out a new master bath and turned the attached garage in the back into another living room. Since then we've added a new attached garage, built a deck and an outdoor kitchen. While doing this we've done our best to maintain the integrity of the house, especially the original woodwork, etc.
We've been spacing it out so it wasn't all done at once but other than the outdoor kitchen we haven't done much in a couple of years. Maybe I've forgotten what it's like to do this or something but I told Hubby that I want to re-do the other upstairs bathroom. It's original to the house with some lovely pink and blue tiles (which might work well for a nursery if they weren't 70-80 years old) and a blue tub, sink and toilet - again original so not exactly in tip top shape. I kind of liked the bathroom overall, in a weird way, when it was just a guest bath but since it's attached to what will be the nursery I decided I'd like to get some new 'stuff' in there so we might as well re-do the whole thing. Along with that we're completely demo-ing the basement and trying to make the finished part bigger. The demo will happen along with the bathroom, don't know about the remodeling part of it though.
So we've been meeting with contractors and thinking about plans. We've learned over the years that we (especially I) really need to take the 'creep factor' into account when hiring someone who's going to be in our house with me for weeks. I don't want to be skeeved out by someone every day for weeks on end, especially since I work from home. So as of right now we've got two companies we like but don't have bids from any of the three we've talked to yet so we'll see how much gold they want to line their pockets....
Now tell me my bloggy friends, have we completely lost our marbles for doing this now or will it be worth it? The bathroom is tiny so shouldn't take over a month. Am I going to be able to deal with it or will I go stark raving mad???
Wow!! I'm just amazed by all that you've already done and all that you're planning. I'd love to see before and after shots. We're trying to figure out reno of our kitchen and it's taking us forever to get it moving.
ReplyDeleteSounds like, although it's all a crazy adventure to go on, you know what you're getting yourself into, so I say go for it! Seems to me that the time to do these sorts of things is before the baby comes and not after -- because it will definitely be harder to get it started with a newborn or a toddler or, etc., etc. Good luck!!!
IMO it's better to do it now than to do it when the baby arrives and you want your privacy in the house. Sounds like a fun project to keep your mind off any late pregnancy discomfort =)
ReplyDeleteDo it, do it, do it!! We had our entire house and porch painted in the waning days of my pregnancy -- the guys showed up 10 days later than our contract stated so of course they weren't quite done by the time I went into labor. So for the first 3 days I was back home with a brand new baby, we had to keep the windows closed (in August!) so that paint chips, etc didn't come in. It stunk, but I was so in a fog those first few days, I barely noticed.
ReplyDeleteAs long as you can get a believable estimate that they'll be done before your due date, I say go for it!
I think renos are fun! Enjoy.
ReplyDeleteDO IT!. if you don't i see that as something you'll regret when the baby is here.
ReplyDeleteI agree it is probably best to do before the baby arrives! We were going to re-do our family room but ran into issues / had to postpone as the people helping us were terrible. I know I wish we could have done it before the baby arrives! I can not wait to hopefully see pictures after it is completed!!
ReplyDeleteIt always seems so overwhelming but just think how wonderful you will feel walking around just staring at your awesome space after it is done. :-)
ReplyDelete