We've spent the time since Christmas (which was as exhausting as we thought with the 5 different get-togethers in three days) trying to get things checked off of our to-do list. On Monday I had my 3rd NST and my 36 week checkup and Hubs ended up coming with me. I think he kind of enjoyed listening to the baby's heartbeat on the monitor for so long and definitely watched the read out after the nurse gave him a better explanation of what it was monitoring than I did. The monitor is definitely showing contractions now but not very strong ones.
During the checkup with the Nurse Practioner I had my Group B Strep Test (negative - yay for no IV antibiotics during labor) and my first cervical check. I was 50% effaced and my cervix was soft but not yet dialated. She also said she was touching the baby's head while she was there. I kind of figured she was down there pretty low due to the pain in my 'crotchal' area but I didn't realize she's already in position. She also palpated my uterus to get a good idea about the size of the baby and said 'whoa, she's a big one'. At this point I made the mistake of asking how big she thought the baby was and her educated guess was about seven and a half pounds. Yes, you read that right - 7.5 lbs at 36 weeks which would put her between 9.5 and 11.5 lbs at my due date with normal growth of .5-1 lb per week. The baby at this point is supposed to be somewhere just shy of 6 pounds so even if she's off by a pound the baby is still big. My uterus is only measuring 35 weeks, most likely because she's so low now.
In a way I'm glad to know she's good sized because if I heard 'you're so tiny, you only look 5 or 6 months' one more time over the holidays I was going to punch someone. Everyone kept looking at me like I'm starving myself and the baby or something but obviously that's not the case. For the most part though I'm just in a bit of a panic over delivering a huge baby with Hubs' giant head. We also got in a bit of a panic learning that she's already in position so that's what got us on the kick to really start getting things done.
Yesterday we spent the day getting things we know we'll need right after we bring her home (Pack-n-Play for the bedroom, diapers, diaper pail, bouncy seat, etc) and some things for the nursery like curtains and a rug. Today Hubby unboxed most of the things we'll need soon. I've also washed and put away all the Newborn and 0-3 Month clothes we have along with the receiving blankets and sheets for the PnP and crib. I've got most of my hospital bag packed and most of the diaper bag as well. I figure the more prepared I am the less likely I'll be to go into labor early but better safe than sorry I guess.
At this point I would not object at all to getting this show on the road. I'm having so much trouble sleeping and can't seem to find a comfortable position whether awake or asleep. But the main reason I'm ready to get things moving is that I'm really ready to meet my little girl!
My sister was told her baby was measuring a certain size, and they were waaay off (smaller) so I wouldn't worry too much. Good luck as you get ready to meet your baby girl.
ReplyDeleteSounds like things are really moving along! :)
ReplyDeleteI wish people knew how to keep their opinions to themselves. I'm impressed you didn't hit any of them!
You're getting super close--like R, I've always heard they're way off on those estimations, so don't get too worried! Good luck checking things off of the list!
ReplyDeleteSo excited that you are so close! They told me I was going to have a small baby and he was 7 pounds 4 ounces! I heard the weight estimations can be off by quite a bit as well. It sounds like you are making great progress with preparations! Happy new year!
ReplyDeleteYou're doing great at getting that to-do list knocked out! A girl my DH works with was told her baby would be around 9.5 lbs and she just had him...he was 7.5. Not sure how they can be so off with weight but they can. I carried small too and got all those same comments...sorry you had to deal with that. At least they weren't saying "WOW, you're huge!" People reserved those comments for me until I was about 38 weeks =) I can't wait for you to meet your little one!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's so exciting to be in the homestretch now! As you know, I'm with you in the "big baby" boat. Hopefully they're estimates are wrong. My DH has a big head and big shoulders, too--hoping the baby takes after little me. :)
ReplyDeleteThat's annoying that people keep saying how small you are. I'm the opposite and I'm sick of people telling me how huge I am. People should really just shut up.
Good luck with your last minute preparations! Your little girl will be here before you know it!